Discover the soul and the “beauty ever ancient, ever new” of the sung liturgy. “I will sing with the Spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.” (1 Cor 14:15). The Western Conference for Liturgy (WCL) Conference this year aims to provide participants with the opportunity to hear and sing the new beautiful English chants and timeless Latin classics.
In partnership with the Archdiocese of Edmonton’s Office of Divine Worship, we invite you to come to the 2016 WCL Conference that will be held on October 21-22, 2016 (Friday and Saturday), at Corpus Christi Church (2707 34th St. NW, Edmonton, AB T6T-1P5) with presenter Lowell A. Davis, Director of St. Basil’s School of Gregorian Chant in University of St. Thomas, Houston, Texas.
Who should attend this conference?
- Parish/school choir directors, musicians, choir membersand music teachers, to rediscover the beauty of our liturgical chant and how it provides full, conscious and active participation in the liturgy. Special note for smaller or rural parishes who might face more challenges with liturgical musical resources. Find out how the chants can be a definite addition to your repertoire. There will be an opportunity to sing the chant in the liturgy on Saturday (Oct. 22) 4:30 PM Mass.
- Members of the clergywho provide liturgical leadership. “It is truly right and just” to lead your congregation in prayerful song, leading and uniting them to a higher consciousness, a deeper and more active participation in the sung prayer of the Liturgy. A special session for priests with focus on the Roman Missal Chants will be held on Friday (Oct. 21) from 2 PM to 4 PM (register separately to email@example.com).
- Liturgical coordinators, ministers and all the members of the faithful. Our church has a rich and diverse treasury of sacred music and our community is relying on us to expose to them the rich treasure the Church has given us, including the chant. Find out why chants’ sacredness and timelessness have stood the test of time.
Let us join together in the Church’s longest, unbroken and continuous prayers, the Psalms of the Liturgy of the Hours from the age of the Apostles, the Church Fathers, and all the Saints and faithful down to our time.
- To register for the conference
- If you are traveling to Edmonton, check out the Accommodation page.
- Here is the schedule of the Conference.
Help us spread the news about the 2016 WCL Conference in your parish, diocese, schools or organization.